Monday, October 17, 2011

Unconscious Living!



Once a drunkard was hauled in off the street and taken before the magistrate, who asked him to explain his drunken behavior.

“Well,” said the drunkard, 
“I had ten bottles of whisky in my cellar and was told by my wife to empty the contents of each and every bottle down the sink, or else.... 

So I said, I would and proceeded with the unpleasant task.... I withdrew the cork from the first bottle and poured the contents down the sink with the exception of one glass which I drank. I extracted the cork from the second bottle and I did likewise with it with the exception of one glass, which I drank.... I then withdrew the cork from the third bottle and ....poured the whisky down the sink.... which I drank. I pulled the cork from the fourth bottle down the sink ...and poured the bottle ....from the cork of the next ....and drank one sink out of it... and threw the rest down the glass.... I pulled the sink... out of the next glass and ...poured the cork down the bottle... Then I corked the sink with the glass... bottled the drink and ...drank..... the pour........

When I had everything emptied,.... I steadied the house... with my hand, ...counted the glasses, ...corks, ....bottles and ...sinks with the other, which were 29,... and as the house came by, I ....counted them again and .....finally had all ..the houses in one bottle,... which I drank. I'm not ...under the affluence of oncohol, ....as some tinkle peep ...I am, I'm not half as thunk ...as you might drink.... I fool so feelish I don't know .....who is me, and the drunker ...I ....I stand here the longer ....I get...... Ah me......!"

Moral Of The Story ...
Friends, this is precisely the situation most of us are in. One is not aware of who one is, from where one is, or where one is going. One is not aware of why one is at all or why this whole existence is. One simply goes on like a robot, doing things, managing somehow. Most of us are so unconscious that, we are not even conscious of our unconsciousness.
From birth to death most of us are in a long sleep, sometimes dreaming with eyes closed, sometimes dreaming with eyes open, but dreaming all the same, all the time. In this situation one cannot know what God is, because God is nothing but the name of the totality. When we don’t even know ourselves, how can we know the total? We are just a tiny being compared to this great, vast existence. We are just a dewdrop compared to the ocean of existence. We don’t know even the dewdrop, and we start enquiring about the ocean.   
Friends, philosophy is foolish because it enquires about the ocean without knowing the dewdrop. The first and the most fundamental question is not God but ‘Who am I?’ One who starts with this question, ‘Who am I?’, is moving in the right direction. But, this question should not be just an intellectual enquiry. This question is unanswerable and it has to become an inner quest. One should not look out for the answer, one should look in for the answer.
The answer is hidden in the question itself ...if one goes deep down into the question one will find the answer and this answer becomes one’s own realization....!

Have a Nice Day Friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment